« Home | You want what? » | Reasons to be Cheerful » | Introduction »

Happy to help!

Here are a couple of particularly special calls I've taken. The first was on a GP Out of Hours line:

Me : Good evening Hammer House of Hypochondria. My name's Whitley Terms and I'm a health advisor, how can I help?

Caller (72yo F): *sniffling* My boyfriend stole my Lemsip last night, and I haven't stopped crying since.

Me : *biting through my headset cord* So what kind of help do you need from your GP tonight then?

Caller : I'm worried I might become dehydrated or damage my eyeballs if I don't stop crying. Are there any precautions I need to take?

Me : A nurse will call you back [click]

I only wish it had been a hoax, but I spoke to her again about three times, same problem each time.


I got the next call last August Bank Holiday. Calls were 40% above forecast, non-urgent and Health Information calls were running at 4-5 hours for a callback. We were getting absolutely hammered.

Me: Good evening Circus of Terrors, my name's Papa Lazarou, how can I help?

Caller 2 (45yo F) : Hi yeah, I wore some shoes that were too tight, my heels are blistered, I want advice

Me : I just need to inform you that callback times are running at five hours plus for non-urgent calls, do you want to proceed?

Caller 2 : Yes please, I can't be bothered to get my other shoes out of the cupboard

Me : [there is no emoticon for how I'm feeling] "OK"

I wonder what these people did before we were there? I know Google's hardly the most scholarly or unimpeachable source, but I'd rather try my chances than wait till 3am to be told how to break in a pair of new shoes!

I really do love this job. Even Agenda for Change and Transformation cannot scare me off, i'm here to stay.